On March 12, 1893, thirteen believers gathered together in a small school building on the east side of North Division Street. They began West Rome Baptist Church because of their burden to reach the west side of Rome, Georgia, for Christ.
Major moves and additions
At the turn of the century, the church purchased a lot across from the school, currently the site of the IGA shopping center. At this location, the church built a one room framed structure. In 1916, a youth ministry was started and in 1918, Sunday school rooms were added. In 1934, the church hired its first full time pastor and built an additional annex. This annex was used for classes, community outreach and childcare. By 1945, the church had grown to 405 members. At that time, the land at our current location was purchased. In 1950, education space was built on the land and the church relocated to where we are today. In 1959, worship center space was completed. The church expanded again in 1972, completing all portions of the current main building. In 2002, the Badcock Furniture building was renovated into small group and fellowship space, The Well. The church added elders in 2002, and in 2006 the XL ministry was started. In 2010, a new multi-purpose building, The Warehouse, that houses our student and XL ministries was completed.
Jarrod Roberts became Pastor in May 2008. Blessed by God over its 117 year history, West Rome Baptist Church has grown from 13 charter members to more than, fifteen hundred. It has also expanded from a small room to multiple buildings on several acres of land, but most importantly, it is a place where we help people find and follow God’s plan for their lives.